September 30, 2009

More Random Australia Facts and Tangents

Lingo:
H is pronounced hay-tch
Z is pronounced zed
(Question)…hey? Example: So you are from Australia hey?
(Description word)…as Example: I think the Australian accent is hot as.
Swag is what you take camping with you to sleep in as opposed to the American rapper’s definition
“heaps” is very often used
Dramas= problems example: I arrived here with no dramas.
Arvo= afternoon

Pay TV is the equivalent to our Cable TV, yet here is not nearly as common to have and also does not have nearly as many channels. I have only been in a few households where there is Pay TV and I don’t know anyone in America that does not have Cable. To be honest I prefer having only the normal 5 channels. It cuts back on channel surfing and TV watching time all together. A lot of the shows that are popular here are either American shows or the Australian version of an American show like Australian Idol, Master Chef Australia and Dancing with the Stars Australia. The American shows that do air here are sometimes the only exposure that Australians have to American lifestyle and culture. SO I hope The Hills, Friends and Grey’s Anatomy represent us well! One of the American shows that airs on regular TV that a few of my friends have mentioned that they enjoy is called ‘Three and a Half Men’ and I have never even heard of it! Another one that a different friend was asking me about is called ‘Greek Life’ and apparently is all about fraternities, sororities, and college life. They don’t have anything like that here, so it is all unknown to them. My favorite question during that conversation was…”So, you have actually been to a fraternity party before? Like with kegs??”

I must say that I have given Rugby League, Rugby Union and Aussie Rules a chance, but nothing compares to American Football (or Gredaine as it’s referred to here). It could quite possibly be because I was raised on it or maybe because I didn’t experience a Rugby game live, but I’ve gotta give 1 point to America for their football—especially college football---and especially the Clemson Tigers!

Roundabouts are genius compared to intersections. With roundabouts you keep the flow of traffic without having to stop at awkward 4-way intersections and avoiding the stop and go of traffic lights! They are everywhere in Australia and I love them. 1 point for Australia

So I figured that sandstorms were usual here, but it turns out they are not at all. They haven’t had one in ages. You might have seen a bit about it on the news since it made international broadcasting. Flights were canceled all day, people were hospitalized with breathing problems and the elderly, asthmatic and pregnant women were advised to stay in their homes. Many thought the red skies meant that it was the end of the world! I missed the brunt of it since it hit Sydney very early in the morning. I could taste and smell the sand in the air from inside our apartment though and once I woke up it was only like an orange fog over the city; nothing like the red, Mars looking city that was on the news.

And now there has been another natural disaster to hit in the area. There was an earthquake near the Samoan Islands which caused a Tsunami and killed 140 people along with washing cars, businesses and houses out to sea. VERY devastating and something like this has not happened in a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment